Smokey Chipotle BBQ Ribs
Get a good glaze on and pass the napkins.
The summer season has ended but grilling season certainly has not. In fact, when fall rolls around, rich grilled meats are a perfect complement to the cool crisp weather – especially when we're talking about ribs slathered in a smoky-spicy barbecue sauce. For deep flavor, these ribs are coated with a robust spice rub and left to marinate before roasting. Then they roast, low and slow, on the grill until the meat is tender and juicy, before getting a good glaze on with a chipotle BBQ sauce. Sweaters welcome, and don't forget the napkins.
Smokey Chipotle Glazed Ribs
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground chipotle pepper
2 racks baby back pork ribs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 chipotles in adobo, minced, with juices
- 1/2 cup heavy bodied wine
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine the rub ingredients in a small bowl. Spread the ribs on a rimmed baking sheet and coat on all sides with the rub. You can grill the ribs immediately, but - better yet - cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. The longer the ribs marinate, the better their flavor.
- Prepare the grill for indirect cooking over low heat (about 275°F). Grill the ribs until the meat is tender, about 2 1/2 hours, turning occasionally.
- While the ribs are grilling, prepare the sauce. Heat the oil in a small saucepan and add the garlic. Sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce is thickened and reduced by about half, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the ribs from the grill and cut into individual riblets. Adjust the grill for direct cooking over medium heat. Baste the ribs with some of the sauce and grill until crispy and slightly charred, 6 to 8 minutes, turning as needed. Serve with the remaining sauce.