Global Climate Action Summit Affiliate Event: Join the Environmental Forum of Marin Master Class on our annual West Marin Field Trip
Experience the interconnection between climate change and food supply with onsite presentations in picturesque West Marin County. This tourist friendly region known for wild flowers, ocean-side pastures, and whale watching also maintains a rich history of local and organic dairy, agriculture and mariculture struggling to survive development and adaptation to climate change.
Learn the challenges of sustainable, organic ranching at the award winning, family-owned Straus Dairy Farm. Receive insight on the success of mariculture to survive acidification, rising sea levels and regulations at Hog Island Oyster Farm. Oysters available for purchase to pack in our ice chest. One final stop involves a tasty tell all on local cheese production from a Cowgirl Creamery ambassador and an instructive discussion on land management practices from one of the Founders of the Marin Agricultural Land Trust (MALT).
1. Learn how climate change is currently impacting dairy, agricultural and maricultural practices in West Marin
2. Learn about the rich history of Marin's ranching communities and the different watersheds en route to West Marin
3. Be introduced to the history of coastal zone management in West Marin County and its relationship to agriculture
4. Visit two West Marin agriculture and mariculture operations and gain some understanding of their operations and environmental challenges
5. Learn about Marin Agricultural Land Trust (MALT), a national model for the preservation of historic agricultural lands and farms in Marin
6. Learn about innovative agricultural operations in Marin and successes controlling waste to produce renewable energy and organic farm practices to help reduce green house gas emissions
Light lunch provided.
Environmental Forum of Marin
We make every effort to ensure the accuracy of this information. However, you should always call ahead to confirm dates, times, location, and other information.