10 Super Bowl Factoids and Where to Watch the Game
Excitement is building for Super Bowl LIV.
The end of January means that the days are getting longer, that maybe we’re finally starting to write the proper year on stuff, and that it’s time for the Super Bowl. Bay Area fans are justifiably excited given that the 49ers are making an appearance, and we figured, who better to share some stats about the event than local sports legend Vern Glenn. Here’s his “Bluffers” guide to Super Bowl 54.
Did you know…
- This is a record 11th time Miami has hosted the Super Bowl. They broke a tie with New Orleans.
- This is the first Super Bowl where both teams have red as its dominant team color.
- 49ers Kyle Shanahan and Mike Shanahan are the first father/son to be Super Bowl head coaches of two separate teams. Mike Shanahan led the Denver Broncos to back to back Super Bowl wins in 1997 and 1998.
- The last time the 49ers were in the Super Bowl (2012), the stadium lights went off at halftime, delaying the start of the second half.
- Kansas City is ending a 50 year drought of appearing in Super Bowls. The Chiefs won the 4th one, 23-7 over the Minnesota Vikings.
- Then Chiefs owner, Lamar Hunt insisted on calling the 3rd AFL-NFL Championship game the “Super Bowl” after seeing his children playing with a popular toy at the time, a Super Ball.
- The official name of the first two Super Bowls was “The AFL-NFL World Championship.” The first one was played January 15, 1967 between the Green Bay Packers and the Chiefs. The Packers won 35-10.
- Average price of the first “Super Bowl” ticket was $12. Today, the face value for Sunday’s game is north of $1,000.
- The Chiefs and 49ers get 35 percent of the tickets for players, coaches and administrators. That is roughly 11,375 tickets. If all 53 players use up their allotment, that’s 795 tickets out of circulation.
- According to 2019 postseason guidelines, each player on the winning 2020 Super Bowl team will receive $124,000.
Looking to watch the game locally?
Bars and restaurants, including the following establishments will be showing the game. Know about ones that we don’t? Let us know!