Yields approximately two houses
- 2 cups shortening
- 3 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 10 whole eggs 1
- 4 cups all purpose flour (AP and cake combined or 7 of each)
- 1T salt
- 2T baking soda
- 3T cinnamon
- 3T ground ginger
- Using a mixer on low speed, cream together shortening, granulated sugar, brown sugar and molasses for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift together salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and fl our in a large bowl. Set aside.
- On low speed, slowly add eggs to creamed shortening. Beat until thoroughly incorporated.
- On low speed, add fl our mixture to creamed mixture base in three parts, scraping down the sides between each addition.
- Blend until incorporated. 6. Wrap the ball of dough completely in plastic wrap (not in the bowl) refrigerate overnight before use.
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Roll out dough between pieces of parchment paper to be 1/8 inch thick and cut out house-shaped pieces.
- Store pieces on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Chill for 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake approximately 25 to 30 minutes at 300°F.
- Remove from oven and cool on sheet pan.
- 3 oz. pasteurized-egg whites
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Combine egg whites with water.
- Put in mixing bowl and gradually add in the powdered sugar.
- Mix on low until glossy. Then mix on high until stiff peaks form (5 to 7 minutes).
- Use immediately or store in airtight container.